Spring. F*cking. Break. The infamous week after Spring midterms when college students let loose by drinking excessively in close proximity to a large body of water. Spring Breakers flee their college campuses to remote tropical destinations where drinking ages are as nonexistent as clothed sorority girls. After years of quiet spring breaks filled with boring afternoons of endless television, I decided it was time I saw it for myself. This year I look a trip down south to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, where springbreakers flood in by the masses and spend a copious amount of their parent’s cash on all inclusive resorts, booze cruises, and Cuban Cigars. While there I learned some helpful spring break drinking tips that I would like to share with all of you.
- Do not substitute meals for booze. Eating every 3 hours keeps your metabolism active, allowing you to process nutrients more efficiently and actually help sustain a healthy weight. When you know you are going to be drinking that evening, try to plan out your meals for the day. Stick to clean, healthy meals that are high in protein and low in processed carbohydrates.
- Stay Hydrated. Remember to drink a ton of water that day to prepare for the dehydration that your body may experience when you will be drinking. Be aware of your tanning time so as to not face dehydration in the sun. If you will be spring breaking in Mexico, remember to not drink the Mexican water from the tap to reduce your risk of experiencing Montezuma’s Revenge. Each day purchase at least a gallon and a half of bottled water for yourself.
- 3. Know what’s in your drink. Steer clear of the drinks with intriguing names like the ‘Adios Motherfucker’ or the ‘What the Fuck’. Many of these common spring break beverages have dangerous mixtures of light and dark liquors which can result in an uncomfortable drunken state, including a nasty hangover. Stick to drinks you know (like a vodka soda), and stick with a single type of liquor per day.
- 4. Enjoy your vacation by avoiding hangovers. You spent your parents hard earned money to enjoy a week long vacation, so you mind as well remember it. Count how many drinks you have had, and try not to overdo it. Keep count on your phone or write it on your hand. Try not to drink at least 2 hours before bed and remember to drink water between each drink. You should each know your limit by now, so keep it in mind. It’s no fun to waste your whole vacation being hungover the entire trip.
- 5. Eat, drink, and be merry…with friends. Being in a new environment surrounded by new people can be a dangerous situation, especially when alcohol is involved. Tourists are prime targets for harassment, pickpocketing, or worse. Make a plan before going out for the night, and stick to it. In many vacation spots such as Mexico, cell phones may not get service, so it is extremely important to keep your friends nearby, and stay with them throughout your trip. Try to travel in groups of three or more, and for girls, try to bring a guy along too. No hookup is more important than a friend’s safety, so never leave a travel buddy without making a plan.